Monday, May 18, 2009

Sir Teacher!!

Back when I was just a kid, I never dreamed that I would grow up to be a teacher. If I did, it was probably just glances, simple "what ifs" and such. Now, I can never really think of a reason why I'm one of the people that wake up early each day to start classes and sleep late at night so that we can prepare our lessons for the next day. I'm a lecturer. Wow.

As a student, I never really paid attention to what my teachers were doing. All I cared about was finishing everything so that I can finally graduate. I had drinks with a few of them, had interesting, often funny, times with them, hell, one of my best friends was a teacher of mine. I thought that life as a teacher was something that I could handle and never thought about it again. After a few years, I'm now one of them. I could see things that I've never even imagined. All the early, early mornings, the very late nights, the endless battle that the teachers wage against the students whose sole purpose in life is to be something that the teacher doesn't want them to be. A lot of things that I never saw as a student, I am now experiencing as a teacher, a lecturer. Me, of all people, a teacher. It was so absurd it was almost laughable. And yet, here I am.

I wake up every morning, still sleepy from the perpetual lack of rest. I blindly go through all my morning rituals then go to work. At school, I wake my self with a cup of coffee, go through my schedule for the day and then I study. After studying for more than half my life, here I am again, studying. Only difference is, now, I study to educate others. It's just now that I felt the urgency, the responsibility. I have to study so that my students can learn. If it was for myself, screw it all, I'd rather play or do something else except for that. But now that I have a responsibility towards my students, all my priorities have changed. Now, it's not just me, I have other people to think about. I'm not complaining. I'm proud of what I'm doing and I'm proud of my students for putting up with me. There's always that rewarding feeling when your students actually learn something from you, that feeling that can make me smile every once in a while, it can keep me going further than the energizer bunny can ever go. Kudos to every professor, lecturer, instructor, teacher and all my fellow academics, we rock!! \m/

1 comment: